- Efficient and secure administration of the schools finances on a day to day basis.
- To contribute to the effective running of the school, providing financial and administrative support under the direction and guidance of the SBM and supporting the Headteacher, Senior Leadership and teaching staff in their work.
- To support the SBM to ensure that best value for money is achieved from all purchases; value for money meaning getting what is required in the correct quantity, quality, time and best price.
- To provide effective and efficient management of school finances, including aspects of budget setting and monitoring, procurement, income receipt, invoicing and VAT processing and claims procedures.
- To assist in the day to day accounting procedures and recording of all financial transactions accurately in financial software packages.
School Business Manager
Headteacher /SLT, teaching and support staff, Parents and Students, Auditors and external agencies.
37 Hours Per week term time, 5 Inset Days/Evenings. 2 weeks of holiday work at times to be agreed with the school business manager. Term time hours are: 08:30 - 16:30 Mon to Thurs, 08:30 - 16:00 Friday
Support Staff Grade E Pt 23-28 (£18,755 - £22,016)
- Overseeing the schools purchase ledger and ensuring orders are placed appropriately by staff
- Working with the finance assistant to research suppliers to achieve best value in accordance with the finance policy.
- Placing central orders for any centralised services such as photocopies, furniture, building contracts etc.
- Ensuring curriculum orders are delivered to correct departments/locations
- Dealing with any queries with regard to orders
- Liaising with Heads of Department/SBM regarding annual curriculum bids for funds
- Overseeing the coding of invoices with the correct expenditure code, ensuring they are logged on the system, distributing to budget holders for authorisation.
- Preparing, and executing after authorisation, a weekly payment run for BACS and Cheques meeting supplier credit terms and maximising school cash flow.
- Ensuring the systems for placing purchase orders and approvals are working effectively and liaising with staff or system suppliers where issues exist.
- Complete journals for department re-charges for items such as photocopying, minibus and catering.
- Overseeing and ensuring statements are checked and copy invoices requested when needed.
- Ensure budget holders are able to access the right information on the financial systems.
- An awareness of departmental spending flagging up any concerns to the SBM.
- Ensuring that any pre-payments and accruals are entered into the system appropriately
- Take responsibility for managing the fixed asset register for the school running monthly deprecation routines and identifying any purchases that would need to be capitalised.
- Taking responsibility for the sales ledger ensuring all income due to the school is recovered.
- Raise invoices and credit notes as appropriate
- Overseeing the matching of receipts with invoices
- Recording non invoiced income against relevant expenditure code
- Responsible for managing letting enquiries and securing income from site lettings, booking resources (including site staff) as required.
Trips and Visits & Canteen
- Collect money from students at Break and Lunchtimes for the canteen, trips and visits and or other purchases.
- Reconcile cash taken daily
- Ensuring the online payments system for parents is operating and linking appropriately to the financial systems
- Management of the Tucasi Payments and Financial management system and the interaction between them (journals and money transfers)
- Ensuring the NRS canteen cashless system is being used effectively
- Managing the monthly transfer and income recognition for the canteen.
- Approve costings for any trips and visits put forward by trip organisers.
- Set up approved trips and visits (and student lists) and take payments for them using the Tucasi system
- Liaise with trip organisers regarding the income received for trips and the corresponding expenditure.
- Prepare cash / cards with floats for trip organisers and check receipts/expenditure after the event.
- Ensure trip suppliers are paid to meet trip deadlines.
- Treat any funds remaining in trips as per the schools policy and transfer or refund students accordingly.
Financial Control Systems
- Complete a bank reconciliation (daily or weekly) for a monthly approval
- Complete a weekly bank run for depositing cash
- Monthly review of accounting systems control accounts and seeking to resolve any anomalies
- Ensuring the schools finance policy is being delivered and met through the appropriate use of systems of internal control.
- Managing the use of the schools charge card and ensuring that its use is reflected in the schools accounts
- Operating a paperless system wherever possible, scanning documents into the financial system.
- Complete a monthly VAT return having reconciled the control account.
- Complete a monthly review of the Trial Balance with particular emphasis on control accounts to identify any issues.
- Write any correcting journals as required.
- Overseeing requests from staff for advances/reimbursements and the distribution of cash/cheques within school policy
- Overseeing posting records on system and reconciling to cash position
- Obtaining/collecting cash from bank
Audit / Housekeeping
- Liaise with auditors as and when required
- Responsible for generating an end of year journal to transfer financial information from Tucasi to Dimensions accounting package.
- Having an overall awareness of the need to match spending to Budget, alerting Business Manager to potential overspending
- Identifying which account (No 1 or No 2) income/expenditure relates to and recording
- accordingly including all trading activities
- Overseeing and ensuring that all records are kept up to date, eg regularly checking for
- and cancelling out of date orders.
- Dealing with any banking errors notified by Lloyds.
- To communicate effectively with the parents of students as appropriate and other staff.
- When appropriate, to communicate and co-operate with persons or bodies outside the school.
- To follow agreed policies for communications in the school.
- To take part in the school's staff development programme by participating in arrangements for further training and professional development.
- To continue personal development in the relevant areas
- To engage actively in the Appraisal process.
- To work as a member of a designated team and to contribute positively to effective working relations within the school.
Other Specific Duties:
- To play a full part in the life of the school community, to support its distinctive mission and ethos and to encourage staff and students to follow this example.
- To provide a level of sustained and substantial contribution to all aspects of the school commensurate with experience and pay grade.
- To promote actively the school's corporate policies.
- To continue personal development as agreed.
- To comply with the school's Health and Safety policy and undertake risk assessments as appropriate.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified.
Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
The school will endeavour to make any necessary reasonable adjustments to the job and the working environment to enable access to employment opportunities for disabled job applicants or continued employment for any employee who develops a disabling condition.
This job description is current at the date shown, but following consultation with you, may be changed by Management to reflect or anticipate changes in the job which are commensurate with the salary and job title.