Exam Team Facilitator
1 day left
- Full Time
Exam Team Facilitator
Location: Office-based. Sparx Head Office in Exeter.
Term: Full Time.
Pay: £20K - £25K per annum (Depending on qualifications and experience)
Here at Sparx, we’re working flat out to investigate scientifically what makes the best learning experience. By using real-time data to drive an evidence-based approach to education, we’re developing an extraordinary new technology for the classroom that is redefining the limits of what young people can achieve.
Our platform for Maths uses custom-built content and a powerful, data-driven mobile framework to deliver a tailored set of exercises, games and incentives to the student. We also design exams that help with our research and report the progress our students have made.
The Exam Team Facilitator will be responsible for compiling a large number of maths assessments that have been designed by our Principal Examiner as well as the corresponding mark schemes for these assessments, undertaken by Sparx. They will also help coordinate the marking by a team of examiners, as well as marking candidates' scripts themselves.
The Exam Team Facilitator role will include:
- Editing and formatting exam scripts so that they are presented in a consistent, accurate and clear manner.
- Formatting a final mark scheme in order to provide all examiners with the means to mark scripts consistently and reliably.
- Checking the final proof of the assessment material, ensuring that the mark scheme is fit for purpose.
- Conducting briefings and other standardisation processes to ensure that examiners
- understand the mark scheme, and will mark consistently and accurately.
- Supervising the work, monitoring the standards and reporting on the work of the team allocated to them, and taking steps to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Re-marking samples of scripts from examiners
- Reporting back to them about the consistency of their marking
- Marking a specified number of scripts and working with the Data Controller to ensure that the recording, addition and transfer of marks have been carried out accurately.
- Preparing observation and recommendation reports on the examination, as required for Sparx internal use and for schools.
- Offering advice on matters related to the examination (e.g. suggesting rephrasing of questions or clarification of mark schemes).
- Recruiting, onboarding, training and mentoring new examiners.
- Assisting with the input and management of data gathered from Sparx assessments.
- Cover the duties of other members of the team as required.
- Assisting with administration tasks in preparation for exam periods.
You’re knowledgeable and passionate about mathematics and have an excellent grasp of English grammar. Your extraordinary attention to detail, enthusiasm and pride in what we’re creating means your standards will always remain high. You will have strong computer and administration skills and be able to work at speed without compromising on accuracy.
Things move quickly at Sparx so you’ll be able to work under pressure, multitask, prioritise and feel comfortable with rapid change. You’ll also be able to get going of your own accord and use your initiative to get stuff done.
This role would suit someone from a numerate background with strong admin and good interpersonal skills or experience in exam marking/teaching.
Here’s an overview of some of the specific skills and experience we’re looking for:
- Interest and/or experience in maths and/or education
- Numerate with a minimum of B at A level maths or science (or equivalent).
- Strong IT skills including experience of using Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- Strong English spelling, punctuation and grammar skills.
- Able to undertake successful DBS check.
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work collaboratively with a wide range of people.
- Self-motivated, dynamic and enthusiastic about what we are doing.
- Positive “can do” attitude.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Knowledge of education and school system.
- Experience of marking maths exams.
- Experience of working in a similar role.
We’re about living life, not putting it on hold. Our generous benefits include substantial holiday leave and the chance to join our company pension. We have a range of on-site facilities for all employees to use free of charge. On site we have a netball court, a five-a-side football pitch, a running track, a pool table, an Olympic table tennis table, as well as an on-site gym with classes throughout the day.
Our café serves delicious, local organic food. Did we mention it’s all free? On top of this you’ll have great views from your office window of the foothills of Dartmoor and boats out at sea on the horizon, with the beach just 20 minutes away. Plus, we’re constantly organising events and activities to support our charities, and to socialise. Our work is serious but we’re all about having fun while we do it!
How to apply
If you want to get involved, then tell us about yourself by applying now. You can apply online by visiting our careers site by clicking apply. Select the “Exam Team Facilitator” role from the list of jobs available and simply register your details and upload your CV.