Location: Purbeck, parts of West Dorset and Weymouth
Salary: £18,500pa pro rata
Contract Type: Temporary Maternity Cover and full time
The organization is a registered charity that has been providing care, support and advice for over 30 years to vulnerable people across Hampshire and Dorset, giving them the tools and resources they need to live independent, secure and valued lives.
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join our service, "Your Journey" as a Community Navigator to cover a period of maternity leave. Our Community Navigators offer an assertive outreach service to homeless people and those of no fixed abode. The Navigators complete assessments and support plans, advocate on behalf of clients, and provide support to clients with social and practical issues. Understanding the root cause of people's situations, the Community Navigator undertakes a holistic assessment including education, employment and physical health needs. The idea is that post holder walks alongside a person on their journey to recovery and resettlement to more permanent accommodation.
On a rota basis the post holder will act as the Single Point of Contact, providing information, guidance and advice and allocating cases to workers. As such you must be able to work flexibly to fulfil this role as you will work primarily in your designated area but may need to travel more widely if the requirements of the role demand.
We are looking for someone who has excellent listening and communication skills to understand the causes of the clients situation and how to best support them, as well as the ability to advocate professionally on their behalf. You will need to be creative and person-centred in your approach at all times to build trusting relationships with those sleeping rough or of no fixed abode.
The ideal Community Navigator will be proficient at networking and establishing good working relationships with other professional agencies so they can achieve the goal of resettling their clients into more permanent accommodation.
The organization has a strong value base, striving to be person-centred, innovative, trustworthy, can-do and excellent at all times, so it is important that you are as passionate about these principles as we are.
The ideal Community Navigator will have:
* Experience of working with rough sleepers
* An understanding of how to promote independence and experience of enabling people to achieve positive outcomes
* An understanding of the importance of completing paperwork such as support plans and risk assessments thoroughly and in a timely fashion
* An understanding of the needs of people with drug and alcohol issues
* Knowledge of welfare benefits and welfare benefit reform
* Experience of working with vulnerable clients who have complex needs around housing
* The ability to use their own initiative and think creatively to achieve client goals
* Experience of Lone Working and excellent risk management skills
* Good communication skills: verbal, non verbal, and written
* A full driving licence and a vehicle available for work purposes, as well as the ability to work flexibly and travel across the service area
A diploma Level 3 in Health & Social Care (or equivalent) would also be ideal, although this isn't essential.
If you choose to begin a career with our organisation, you are guaranteed:
* Competitive rates of pay and paid travel time.
* Enhanced annual leave entitlements, sick pay allowances and pension scheme contributions.
* Excellent and professionally certified training.
* Real opportunities to develop in your profession.
* Free health and wellbeing advice via a 24/7, confidential Employee Assistance Programme.
* Everything you need to carry out your role free of charge, which may include a mobile phone, safety equipment and other necessary technology, a uniform where applicable, and of course a nice cup of tea or coffee throughout your day!
* A company that is committed to its employees, valuing their knowledge, creativity and flexibility.
* The chance to work with amazing people.
If this sounds like you're ideal role we're keen to hear from you as soon as possible, so don't delay as we will be appointing the first suitable candidates and we want to hear from you! Please click 'Apply' to forward your details on to us; ensuring that you include your name, email address and a contact telephone number. You will then be contacted by the recruiting manager who will talk to you about the position and ask a few key questions to make sure that this is the right role for you.