Senior International Government Relations and Partnerships Manager
About the ODI
Co-founded by the inventor of the web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee and renowned AI expert, Sir Nigel Shadbolt, the Open Data Institute works to build a strong, fair and sustainable data economy by helping businesses and governments get data to people who need it.
We are looking to appoint a new International Government Relations and Partnerships Manager who can build relationships with UK and international public sector organisations, identify opportunities for the ODI to develop new third sector partnerships and construct compelling value propositions and programme designs. This role will also maintain good relationships with senior public sector officials, represent the ODI internationally to grow our public sector reach and work with the ODI's Business Development team to translate opportunities into new business.
About the role
Reporting to the Commercial Director, the ideal candidate will have considerable experience brokering relationships within government organisations and donors, designing engagement strategies and developing programs targeting public sector reforms. A strong understanding of public sector innovation and technology trends, and experience operating within global governance or innovation networks in the UK and internationally, is desirable.
You will be an able and confident networker, capable of building and maintaining relationships with key decision makers including senior public sector officials, donors and philanthropic investors. You will demonstrate a willingness to learn, a professional, customer-focused view and be able to see things from an external organisation's perspective. You will work with the commercial and delivery teams to formulate and execute strategies which will provide the ODI with sustainable and impactful work based around our core values.
- Work with the ODI senior leadership to shape strategy for public sector engagement in UK and globally.
- Proactively build and maintain relationships with prospective government clients, delivery partners and donors in the UK and globally.
- Build the new business pipeline by scoping for partnership opportunities, developing new relationships with public sector leaders and leveraging existing relationships for new opportunities.
- Designing programmes of work, interventions and products to meet government policy and reform objectives, including insights into sector needs and innovation trends.
- Regularly attend and represent the ODI, including presenting and running workshops, at UK and international events.
- Supporting the Commercial Director in the development of the ODI's public sector value proposition, pulling together evidence what the ODI has done, where it has delivered value, and using this to develop plans to grow the ODI's outreach with governments around the world.
- Secure new bookings to meet the ODI's sale targets and maintain an accurate pipeline for the benefit of the whole of the ODI.
- Ensure consistent and proactive public sector engagement by the ODI in our key strategic areas and sectors.
- Contribute to the ODI and sector's thinking about public sector reform and innovation through thought leadership and external communication.
- Deliver consulting and advisory services where your expertise is required (for example, presentations, advice to senior government leaders, facilitating high-level workshops, sitting on panels).
- Oversee public sector programme design and proposal writing by preparing effective descriptions of the ODI consulting services and interventions for UK and internationally, working alongside other members of the team (e.g. project managers, data experts, delivery team)
- Developing external communications and other collateral; working with the production team to create compelling outputs.
Due to the nature of the work, this position is likely to involve non-core hours as well as both UK and international travel.
About you - skills, knowledge and experience
- A strategic thinker, able to design and grow impactful programmes of work targeting public sector reform.
- A relationship broker, able to identify opportunities, understand client challenges and formulate creative solutions that match the ODI's products and services.
- Strong interpersonal skills that enable you to negotiate with clients within international governments and donors.
- A confident communicator whose written and verbal skills can easily be adapted to suit the needs of the clients.
- Ability to work independently and effectively under pressure and short deadlines.
- A self-starter with the ability to prioritise and work unsupervised, and develop policy recommendations in line with the ODI's strategic priorities.
- Competent and confident in use of a range of IT systems.
- Confident operating within global inter-governmental networks.
- Ability to understand, analyse and develop policy recommendations in ODI priority areas.
- Organised with excellent attention to detail.
About the ODI team
Teamwork We are all here to work towards achieving the aims and mission of the ODI. All team members are required to work together across departments and with colleagues to ensure the long-term success and sustainability of the ODI.
Agility To meet the changing demands of a rapidly growing organisation we will need to be agile to meet shifting challenges and workloads. Team members will be required to take on or let go of tasks and responsibilities that will be both reasonable and within their capabilities.
Respect The ODI expects everyone to respect and comply with the principles of dignity at work and equal opportunities for everyone. We are committed to diversity and inclusion and welcome applications from people who will add to our culture, not just fit with it.
Confidentiality We are all about open data but what comes with that is the need to be mindful of people's personal data, intellectual property, and any business-sensitive data.
- 3% contributory pension
- 30 days annual holiday
- Life Assurance cover
- Long-term disability cover
- Critical illness cover
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Flexible working
- Coaching and mentoring for skills and personal development
- GBP750 annual training budget toward your own professional development
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter via the button below.